[ High Council ] Colin
don
Kruck
Polar
TBR
[ Council ] Rob

MMA Thread

Adam|Note

Kurt Angle wanted to but is focusing on the Olympics instead, I read something about he was supposed to be on TUF10 but cba to find you a source google it if ya want :P

If we could go back a decade Steve Blackman would've made a pretty good transition.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adam|Note

• Smush

• Octavarium

• Flex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom (Rendition)

RVD could easily be a star in UFC. He has the wrestling and is a black belt in tai kwo doe. Kurt Angle is a quality wrestler too. I'm not saying they can crossover right now and be champion but they can easily switch if they wanted to.

TKD is probably one of the worst arts for the cage.

Ok so the finalists for the MMA Awards 2011 have been selected and you have the chance to vote here: http://www.onlineawards.co.uk/fightersonly/VotingPreview.asp

I'm actually shocked and puzzled as to why Dos Santos didn't make it to the finals in the fighter of the year category yet Anderson did.

Anyways, check the link, have a vote, post your results and opinions.

Fighter Of The Year: Jon Jones

Breakthrough Fighter Of The Year: Donald Cerrone

Fight Of The Year: Kampmann vs Sanchez (Diaz vs Daley definately didn't deserve to make it to the finals of this category)

Submission Of The Year: Chan-Sung

Ring Entrance Of The Year: After rewatching them all I've gotta go with Akiyama

Referee Of The Year: Herb Dean

Ring Girl Of The Year: Brittney Palmer

MMA Personality Of The Year: Bas Rutten

Female Fighter Of The Year: Ronda Rousey (4 convincing wins in a year definately gets my vote)

International Fighter Of The Year: Michael Bisping

Knockout Of The Year: Silva vs Belfort

Comeback Of The Year: Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry

Template:

Fighter Of The Year:

Breakthrough Fighter Of The Year:

Fight Of The Year:

Submission Of The Year:

Ring Entrance Of The Year:

Referee Of The Year:

Ring Girl Of The Year:

MMA Personality Of The Year:

Female Fighter Of The Year:

International Fighter Of The Year:

Knockout Of The Year:

Comeback Of The Year:

Fighter Of The Year: Jon Jones

Breakthrough Fighter Of The Year: Donald Cerrone

Fight Of The Year: Aldo vs Hominick

Submission Of The Year: Hale's Inverted Triangle

Ring Entrance Of The Year: Dave Herman?

Referee Of The Year: Mario... lmao. Probably Herb Dean although he's made some terrible errors too (TUF)

Ring Girl Of The Year: Arianny Celeste

MMA Personality Of The Year: Jacon Stitch Duran.

Female Fighter Of The Year:  Ronda Roussey Although she cheated I'm sure.

International Fighter Of The Year:  Bisping LIVERPOOL LAD

Knockout Of The Year: Kongo vs Barry

Comeback Of The Year: Kongo vs Barry

Referee Of The Year: Mario... lmao. Probably Herb Dean although he's made some terrible errors too (TUF)

I think his biggest fault of the year was not letting Hendo/Fedor go longer.

RVD could easily be a star in UFC. He has the wrestling and is a black belt in tai kwo doe. Kurt Angle is a quality wrestler too. I'm not saying they can crossover right now and be champion but they can easily switch if they wanted to.

DOUBTTT IT. They're all old. If they had transitioned maybe a decade ago, I'd give them a shot. And TKD < Muay Thai

TKD is probably one of the worst arts for the cage.

lol disagree with u, cung lee has black belt tkd, and he is really talented in the cage, there's no such thing as worst art in the cage.

Tbh I'd say boxing was the worst... If you know how to use it effictively then it's good. Nobody in MMA does Kung Fu either but I guarentee that he good beat anybody

Tom (Rendition)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrH_Wfhk2kI

There are better and worse arts/sports for the cage.

All top level fighters to a less or greater degree have; good wrestling, good jiu jitsu and either good muay thai or good kickboxing.  The reason you don't see many top level fighters with more traditional martial arts (karate, kung fu, tkd, wushu etc) is because it isn't as efficient as it could be.  There are some moves from those arts that work in MMA, but a whole lot of other moves that aren't.

The most important skill in MMA is wrestling - period.  By having good wrestling you can control the fight completely.  If you aren't comfortable on your feet you can take it to the ground, if your opponent is weak on their feet you can defend the take down.  That's the reason you get so few top level Brit fighters - wrestling isn't as established here as other parts of the world.

I wouldn't say boxing is bad for the cage, alot of cage fighters have a background in amateur boxing.

ye the boxing thing was a joke. Seriously though look at any kung fu fighter and watch them fight any other style. They win every time. Not seen wrestling vs kung fu though. Also RVD is a brilliant wrestler, as in proper wrestling... he's good at everything.

Enough with your obsession with RVD. He's a TV personality, he may do some things outside of fake wrestling, but he doesn't belong in the same sentence with the UFC.

Wrestling is the best base, but not necessarily the best skill. The reason why TKD isn't exactly matching to MMA is because TKD is trained as a sport based off a point system. It's not practical in an MMA bout.

Tom (Rendition)

ye the boxing thing was a joke. Seriously though look at any kung fu fighter and watch them fight any other style. They win every time. Not seen wrestling vs kung fu though. Also RVD is a brilliant wrestler, as in proper wrestling... he's good at everything.

Who uses Kung Fu in MMA?

And well put by Smush.

hahahahahah lol myahem is known for submissions, not for knock outs, bisping will tear him apart.

And stop hating, everyone talks about hendo knocking out bisping so what it happens, change the record, why soley comment on bisping with that one fight.

Sorry Flex bro, but unfortunately the website I usually use to get streams doesn't have this event listed. I'm guessing it isn't being streamed because it's classified as the finale of TUF. Also this event isn't being showed on ESPN it's being aired on FX.

Lol at people that don't think Bisping has a shot, he's lost to two legends of the sport (Wanderlei and Hendo) but has had wins against Hamill, Akiyama, Leben, Rivera and more.

I'm not hating, I just merely gave who I wanted to win (via HENDO) and a very ironic video.

What's not to love?

5m bet on it?

Damn, if only I played Runescape. I might come back over winter holiday, so we can all start betting on fights during the new year.

Though I might have 5m in my bank right now ... lemme check.

Sorry Flex bro, but unfortunately the website I usually use to get streams doesn't have this event listed. I'm guessing it isn't being streamed because it's classified as the finale of TUF. Also this event isn't being showed on ESPN it's being aired on FX.

Lol at people that don't think Bisping has a shot, he's lost to two legends of the sport (Wanderlei and Hendo) but has had wins against Hamill, Akiyama, Leben, Rivera and more.

aryt np ill just torrent, cheers any ways.

Seeing as Chael is fighting Munoz, maybe we could actually see Bisping vs Silva now.. although I'm not sure Bispings technical striking will be enough to defeat Silva. He's great at picking shots but he just doesn't have enough power :\

Also Brandaos submission was the best of the year so far hands down!

Silva is out till June 2012, and by then the winner of Munoz vs Sonnen will face Silva.

Is Silva ducking and hoping that Munoz wins by fluke? I don't know. It's going to be interesting.

And Bisping is one more fight away from a title shot, winning a title shot off a fight from Mayhem isn't enough in my books.