Martial Arts

Beastdefire

Beastdefire

I'm looking to start lessons in a martial art over the summer. Any ideas on which is the best for self defense? I've asked around and I hear Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is particularly good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Env

• Adolesc3nt

• Acclaimed|Jordan

• Marc|Criti

I mean to put it in real world terms Jiu Jitsu isn't going to help you out in a bar fight.

You can't just pull guard and lay on your back while his friends are stomping the crap out of you.

Don't listen to people saying "60% fights end up on the ground" because 100% of fights start on the feet.

I'd take a striking class (Boxing, Muay Thai) and have a base in wrestling then you can go on to Jiu Jitsu if you want.

Acclaimed|Jordan

if you really want to kick ass.. I'd say FUCK mma class, its a whole little of everything. Take muay thai and judo, then go on to bjj. Muay Thai + judo = self defense IRL

Yes BJJ won't do anything for you IRL. Judo combined with muay thai... you will be a dangerous fella.

Zg8O9dyB5io

3VAFcw64mYg

You should also work out because without strength you won't be able to do any of this lol

Facepalm at some of the above posts.

The best martial art for self defence is Aikido. It concentrates on counter attacking and using a persons momentum against them.

Acclaimed|Jordan

Facepalm at some of the above posts.

The best martial art for self defence is Aikido. It concentrates on counter attacking and using a persons momentum against them.

You are completely wrong. Try using aikido in real life situations. You are not going to do shit when there are 3 guys jumping you.

Also,

Let me ring in here for a sec’. It’s true that for most of us who haven’t trained in aikido have a hard time under standing it. I’ve seen a lot of aikido demo’s and let me say they are among the most impressive I’ve seen (beautiful), But just like other ma demonstration where one attacks one defends It’s all crap. Who punches like that? Who swings a knife or club like that? A street predator won’t wait till’ you give him the thumbs up to attack. He attacks when you’re not ready, when you’re not set. Also in most if not all ma (to include aikido) demonstrations the attacker uses linear attacks strait in. What about someone throwing feints changing angles of attack, starts and stops abruptly? What about quick hands that snap back very fast after a punch. How does your average aikidoist deal with this? (not even sure what their called). Aikido practitioner?

I’ve seen aikidoists in mma tournaments and rather their fighting strikers or grapplers they don’t do anything that I can identify as aikido. Mostly they just get their ass kicked. Okay this can happen to people in any style, and does frequently.

In my opinion aikido is an art, some of the moves are extremely useful in situations. You can't come in and tell him that ONLY aikido is the best for self defence. It sounds like you just googled self defence and that is the first thing that came up.

Also again:

Smush is right with the wrestling, it is good for irl

^ It looks pretty epic but staged, probably cuz im watching a promo video lol

WOW damn jews

It works but it's not easy for someone who's never fought or has atleast, some fighting experience.

Also, don't get your hopes on, just because you know martial arts, doesn't mean jacked. My best mate is like 300lbs 6'7, when I fight him, I know I'm dead if he touches me with his hands.

Krav Maga always looked cool to me, but the exhibition always looked kind of "fake" you know?

Could be wrong, let's bring in a krav maga expert? Anyone?

op just buy a gun

This is 2011 not 1850

he wants to defend himself, not go to jail for 30 years

In America you don't get sent to jail for defending yourself

TJqoLbGatJA

this is impossible IRL against a real gunman..

Lol by the time you grab the gun, he would already shoot. I would never want to be placed into that kind of situation.

I'm hopping the video was for the trololol.

TJqoLbGatJA

this is impossible IRL against a real gunman..

Lol by the time you grab the gun, he would already shoot. I would never want to be placed into that kind of situation.

I'm hopping the video was for the trololol.

Uhh.. idk what u guys are talking about. Krav maga can help save ur life. what else u gonna do wit a shotgun pointed at ur chest huh