[ High Council ] Colin
don
Kruck
Polar
TBR
[ Council ] Rob

handguns legalised in the uk

i tauntz i

Strict laws would be fine I guess, but NORMALLY the guns you're talking about are used for hunting or clay pigeon shooting ETC, I don't think you'd have many people even bothering to own handguns them for any reason other than protection.

That means that people who potentially try to get licensed AREN'T buying for hunting or sport, so why would you give them the option to own? Seems a bit daft to me that you'd let people apply to own a gun that would be useless for anything other than protection :P

Edited by Briggsy
Typo.

Strict laws would be fine I guess, but NORMALLY the guns you're talking about are used for hunting or clay pigeon shooting ETC, I don't think you'd have many people even bothering to own handguns them for any reason other than protection.

That means that people who potentially try to get licensed AREN'T buying for hunting or sport, so why would you give them the option to own? Seems a bit daft to me that you'd let people apply to own a gun that would be useless for anything other than protection :P

this came up before with something delta said 

handguns are used for target shooting so i would imagine you would have to be a member of a gun club when applying you also need a reference from a police officer/gun dealer also background checks are carried out so i don't imagine that many people would apply for one considering the time/money spend 

and the uk has some of the best gun control laws in the world and has the highest gun safety in the world i honestly don't understand why people think their would be a huge rise in gun crime got legalising handguns

If they were legalised then I can guarantee that there would be a drastic increase in crime rates in the UK.

what is this based off? just the idea that guns = crime? so why are they very few people killed with shotguns/rifles? why is their not already a major issue of guns killing people in the uk? should we also make knives illegal because they are used for killing people and i'm pretty sure more people die because of knife crime than gun crime in the uk although it is completely legal to own guns in the uk 

like i said the laws wouldn't change so you couldn't carry it in public they would have to be registered etc 

It's based on how messed up the current generation is.

Consider these statistics;

"... Last year [2000], 3,685 crimes were committed by perpetrators armed with illegal handguns, including 43 murders, 310 attempted murders and 2,561 robberies, according to Home Office figures released to parliament. It is the highest number in seven years."

Though you may argue that they're outdated statistics because they're 14 years old, if handguns were legalised then it's fairly reasonable to assume that those figures would indefinitely increase. For example, according to another article I just read;

"Gang members carry out half of all shootings in the capital and 22% of all serious violence."

(this article is under a year old).

If handguns were more accessible, surely gang members would also be able to access them more easily too? Which would subsequently lead to more handgun related crimes.

More supporting statistics not just relevant to gangs;

"The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year  -  a rise of 89 per cent. 

In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold."

Legalising handguns would increase handgun crime rated.. It's fairly obvious. I don't think there would be any benefits to leglaising it.

And about your idea of legalising it for sporting activites; surely if it were easier to gain access to a firearm, it would also be easier for gangs and lunatics and others to access them too?

no lol like you said illegal guns were used...

under current law you have to apply for a license and you are only able to obtain one if you meet all criteria like reason to own one and legal background check i don't think many gang members are going to be member are shooting clubs and have a clean record and i don't think there's going to be many people that would sell guns to gang members as why would you want to risk being arrested and losing your own license? and the price a gang member would have to pay someone to risk it and buy a gun to sell them would be higher than would you would have to pay to get an illegal gun now i really don't think gun crime would rise any significant amount at  all

"Gang members carry out half of all shootings in the capital and 22% of all serious violence." 

this doesn't really say anything other than half of the shootings in london are from gang members and serious violence can be anything from GHB to murder which you don't need to own a gun to commit 

those 'illegal guns' wouldn't be 'illegal' if they were legalised pal.

And referring to your criteria etc; people bypass such systems all the time.

It would simply lead to more problems than bad things.

yes they would be illegal if a gun doesn't have its serial number and is not registered then its an illegal gun also if you own a gun but don't have the right documentation/license and if the gun is not on your license then its an illegal gun or at least a legal gun but you are breaking the law by having it

and i really don't think it would cause a significant increase in gun crime because like i said its not going to be massive amount of people that own them only people that are part of shooting clubs and have a valid reason to own one and if you really want to kill someone you can use a knife 

If handguns became more accessible to people in 'shooting clubs', they'd generally become more easily obtainable..

I'm not disputing that they'd still be illegal, just that it would be much easier to obtain them, which would most likely increase the levels of handgun crime..

these countries also have less minorities ;p

and immigrants 

wat? no... sweden has fucking huge immigration numbers

youre right, 25% apparently, whod have thought?

it's definitely a factor as to why some countries have more crime/murders than others though

Edited by vult

Can't believe you guys really think legalizing handguns is ok...

why not? its perfectly fine in other countries (sweden,switzerland) and with the regulations and qualifying factors in place it may not be such a bad idea if you think about it and not to mention the UKs record with gun safety 

i understand the argument that people think no one should own guns but lets say this law was passed in reality how bad do you to seriously think it would be?

the last thing this country needs are more guns

and Tauntz, guns being more easily accessible to some means that they are more accessible to many in the long run

there is NO need to have own your own gun unless you use it as part of your job; i.e high security, some couriers use them etc

these countries also have less minorities ;p

and immigrants 

wat? no... sweden has fucking huge immigration numbers

youre right, 25% apparently, whod have thought?

it's definitely a factor as to why some countries have more crime/murders than others though

i only knew because i met a swedish guy on rs who was an immigrant

Lol some of you are stubborn as f.. feel free to check national geographic / discovery channel, loads of documentaries about the guns etc.. Ross kemp, extreme worlds =]

Edited by Marc

Lol some of you are stubborn as f.. feel free to check national geographic / discovery channel, loads of documentaries about the guns etc.. Ross kemp, extreme worlds =]

yes! get legit unbiased information from tv shows that are made for entertainment 

if you have an iq of over 60 you can decipher the factual and useful information among the entertainment factor and gain knowledge which is pretty damn obvious in why guns should not be legalised

yea but the will only put on side of the argument for example a rspca ad will never give reason why some animals should be controlled/killed they will only ever give reasons why they shouldn't be and thats why you have idiots that think all animals should be allowed to roam free with diseases spreading it everywhere or let foxes freely kill livestock because thats their food source without thinking of the results to the farmers/customers 

im just saying do your own research 

like I said you can decipher the factual information without bias if you have an iq over 60 which im starting to think you don't have as you always seem to miss the point of my posts ... i'm not sure if you can read properly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552716/Police-captain-shot-dead-moviegoer-row-texting-exclaimed-I-believe-Ive-firing-pistol.html

USA but still applies

The defendant was texting so the victim thew popcorn at him. So the defendant  shot the victim and now claiming it as self defence.

If its that easy to have guns, crimes as simple as this will occur. Granted not in the same circumstances, but people will be willing to just pull out a handgun and shoot at the slightest agitation.

And the defendant was a police captain before you say "trusted people only"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552716/Police-captain-shot-dead-moviegoer-row-texting-exclaimed-I-believe-Ive-firing-pistol.html

USA but still applies

The defendant was texting so the victim thew popcorn at him. So the defendant  shot the victim and now claiming it as self defence.

If its that easy to have guns, crimes as simple as this will occur. Granted not in the same circumstances, but people will be willing to just pull out a handgun and shoot at the slightest agitation.

And the defendant was a police captain before you say "trusted people only"

why couldn't that have been a knife? or a punch? or any weapon the fact it was a gun is the only reason it got attention just because it was a gun doesn't mean you can't kill with other with weapons that are already legal

also like ive said before you can't carry any gun on public land unless you have a valid reason (crossing public paths/taking it to repair/club/shooting) and in that case it obviously has to be unloaded and if its a shotgun it has to be broken

you can argue that its already this easy to kill someone over so little you can very simply get a pocket knife so why doesn't this already happen with stabbings? should we ban all types of knives that aren't for cooking? this is just taking things away from the masses to cater for the minority 

If people really want to own a gun in the UK, they'll find a way to make it happen regardless of the rules put in place by the establishment. Any criminal that you assume is unarmed is probably packing some type of heat, whether it be through smuggling or other means, and let's be real these people who are owning guns in the UK as of now most likely won't be able to get them through legal means.

That being said I do believe guns should be kept illegal in your country. Do you really need them for self-defense? You'll have a lot more to worry about when the general populace who was too afraid to own a gun prior are now given the freedom to carry one and use it when they deem necessary. Knowing people and how stupid we can be at times, giving us a fatal weapon that could be used pass judgement on another person's actions is just irresponsible.

If people really want to own a gun in the UK, they'll find a way to make it happen regardless of the rules put in place by the establishment. Any criminal that you assume is unarmed is probably packing some type of heat, whether it be through smuggling or other means, and let's be real these people who are owning guns in the UK as of now most likely won't be able to get them through legal means.

That being said I do believe guns should be kept illegal in your country. Do you really need them for self-defense? You'll have a lot more to worry about when the general populace who was too afraid to own a gun prior are now given the freedom to carry one and use it when they deem necessary. Knowing people and how stupid we can be at times, giving us a fatal weapon that could be used pass judgement on another person's actions is just irresponsible.

you obviously have not read any of what has been said before 

it is already legal for people to own certain guns in the uk

the rules if handguns were legalised would not change so you wouldn't be able to carry in public.. and as far as the rules/law goes to applying for a gun its not like the us where u have a very simply background check then come back a day or so later and pick your gun up it takes weeks if not months of background checks/mental health checks/house visits and a sponsor 

also "self defense" wouldn't be a reason to own a gun as we don't have the same amendment thing as the uk it would be purely sporting purposes with extremely strict laws and again like i said the laws would not change so you wouldn't just "use it when necessary"

you obviously have not read any of what has been said before 

it is already legal for people to own certain guns in the uk

the rules if handguns were legalised would not change so you wouldn't be able to carry in public.. and as far as the rules/law goes to applying for a gun its not like the us where u have a very simply background check then come back a day or so later and pick your gun up it takes weeks if not months of background checks/mental health checks/house visits and a sponsor 

also "self defense" wouldn't be a reason to own a gun as we don't have the same amendment thing as the uk it would be purely sporting purposes with extremely strict laws and again like i said the laws would not change so you wouldn't just "use it when necessary"

I skimmed through the prior posts, you really can't expect me to look through over 3 pages worth of back and forth. If certain guns are legal now, why the need to legalize handguns?

Also, I don't trust people. You could have the strictest laws in place to ensure that nobody gets harmed but it'll happen eventually. Like I said earlier you can't trust all people who own a gun to be responsible. There are things that background checks, and mental health checks can miss.

And if the only reason you want to own is a gun is for sport then you really don't need one, there's too much risk involved.