[ High Council ] Colin
don
Kruck
Polar
TBR
[ Council ] Rob

handguns legalised in the uk

i tauntz i

what do you think should they be legal or not?

you can already own shotguns/rifles easily and you don't hear of many shootings with them so should handguns be allowed also?  

and considering you would probably need a good reason to own one and the checks the police do first i don't see this as such a bad thing

Not really for or against, but the main difference although seemingly obvious is that handguns are far easier to conceal than rifles/shotguns which can cause problems.

Should remain illegal.

Why does someone need to carry a handgun with them anyway?

Why would you need to take it outside of your dwelling?

Just don't seem how legalizing them would change anything

Not really for or against, but the main difference although seemingly obvious is that handguns are far easier to conceal than rifles/shotguns which can cause problems.

true but considering the checks/regulations its not as if everyone would be able to own one unlike the USA also if you really want to its pretty simple to buy one illegally 

Should remain illegal.

not for protection it would be for sporting reasons (targets etc) you can own a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting so why not a handgun for targets?  the laws would remain the same i assume so you couldn't have it in public without a reason 

its not to change anything protection wise i would say it was more of a sporting/hobby since you can use other guns easily should you be allowed handguns for sports?

Should stay illegal everywhere, it increases the risk of committing crimes and if you really wanted it for sports then there are shooting clubs almost everywhere around you

You can go down to a shooting range and use handguns then.

There are clubs which cater to short range shooting, just go there.

everyone should own a gun tbh

Didn't three people just get shot in america? funny

It'd be ww3 in the uk Muslims would go crazy l0l

yeah right near where I live. if they take away guns it wouldn't matter because criminals will still have guns. Everyone should remember what Hitler did he took away everyone's guns

Should remain illegal.

Do you believe censorship is right as well?

Banning guns is a form of censorship; censoring our freedom.

Why wouldn't you want the right to be able to carry your own weapon.

When there are more weapons there IS less crime.

If someone with the intent of robbing like a Starbucks goes out to scope the place and sees one or two people with a handgun, they're not going to take the risk.

Those mass shootings that happen @ schools happen with illegal obtained guns.

so why should it be illegal to own your gun but keep it on their premises? just like a pc or car all guns are different from power to accuracy to custom made to fit the owner if you are using guns that are supplied for a club you wouldn't have much control over what they would stock

If they were legalised then I can guarantee that there would be a drastic increase in crime rates in the UK.

what is this based off? just the idea that guns = crime? so why are they very few people killed with shotguns/rifles? why is their not already a major issue of guns killing people in the uk? should we also make knives illegal because they are used for killing people and i'm pretty sure more people die because of knife crime than gun crime in the uk although it is completely legal to own guns in the uk 

like i said the laws wouldn't change so you couldn't carry it in public they would have to be registered etc 

also what allen says does not apply to the uk as its not really part of our freedom to own a gun also you are not able to carry guns in public concealed or not also gun control in the uk is much stricter unlike the US

Should remain illegal.

If someone with the intent of robbing like a Starbucks goes out to scope the place and sees one or two people with a handgun, they're not going to take the risk.

Doesn't apply to the UK so not really going to debate you on that.

so why should it be illegal to own your gun but keep it on their premises? just like a pc or car all guns are different from power to accuracy to custom made to fit the owner if you are using guns that are supplied for a club you wouldn't have much control over what they would stock

Whats the point of keeping a gun in your premises then? Whats the point in that? Too look at it every time you walk down the stairs in a case? Too shine it when you get bored?

At the end of the day it was the people that voted for illegalisation of pistols? (if i can remember) so it's not like government are doing it to take away this 'privilege' from us.

And carrying a knife of the streets is illegal btw unless you can provide good information on why you have it. Saying your going to do some cooking isn't a defence.

I don't see why they w

Should remain illegal.

Doesn't apply to the UK so not really going to debate you on that.

Whats the point of keeping a gun in your premises then? Whats the point in that? Too look at it every time you walk down the stairs in a case? Too shine it when you get bored?

I assume he meant for your own protection/safety.

keeping it on your own premises so you can take it to multiple ranges/cleaning it/cost

the law came in after a shooting at a school in scotland i believe but you can argue that its is just as easy to walk into a public place with a knife and slash/stab people also like you said with knives the law is the same with firearms you are not aloud them in public places unless you have a valid reason

so your saying you fine with it if you had to keep it in a range/club? im not saying people that want a gun for the sake of owning a gun should have one nor am i saying you should have one for protection i am saying would it be ok to legally own a gun for sporting purposes like a shotgun/rifle 

such a fucking stupid argument it annoys me

why would anyone be FOR making murder easier

doesn't matter what other weapons are in place or not, censorship etc, you all know that your opinion would change in a split second when someone you love is murdered via handgun

"Since the pistols used in the 25m and 50m shooting events were deemed by HM Government as prohibited[3] in England, Scotland and Wales, special dispensation had to be granted by the UK Government and security criteria met by LOCOG to allow certain events to go ahead."

From the Olympics pistol event.

So i take it clubs which would be used for the sport (as you wouldn't use handguns for hunting) has to be granted special permissions first and probably have to retain all firearms on premises (dunno how it works). So no i don't think they should be able to take them home.  Why would you need to once again?. You're not going to set a 25m/50m course in your back garden. The club officials probably clean them for you and retain all shooting pins

If they were legalised then I can guarantee that there would be a drastic increase in crime rates in the UK.

what is this based off? just the idea that guns = crime? so why are they very few people killed with shotguns/rifles? why is their not already a major issue of guns killing people in the uk? should we also make knives illegal because they are used for killing people and i'm pretty sure more people die because of knife crime than gun crime in the uk although it is completely legal to own guns in the uk 

like i said the laws wouldn't change so you couldn't carry it in public they would have to be registered etc 

It's based on how messed up the current generation is.

Consider these statistics;

"... Last year [2000], 3,685 crimes were committed by perpetrators armed with illegal handguns, including 43 murders, 310 attempted murders and 2,561 robberies, according to Home Office figures released to parliament. It is the highest number in seven years."

Though you may argue that they're outdated statistics because they're 14 years old, if handguns were legalised then it's fairly reasonable to assume that those figures would indefinitely increase. For example, according to another article I just read;

"Gang members carry out half of all shootings in the capital and 22% of all serious violence."

(this article is under a year old).

If handguns were more accessible, surely gang members would also be able to access them more easily too? Which would subsequently lead to more handgun related crimes.

More supporting statistics not just relevant to gangs;

"The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year  -  a rise of 89 per cent. 

In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold."

Legalising handguns would increase handgun crime rated.. It's fairly obvious. I don't think there would be any benefits to leglaising it.

And about your idea of legalising it for sporting activites; surely if it were easier to gain access to a firearm, it would also be easier for gangs and lunatics and others to access them too?

what do you think should they be legal or not?

you can already own shotguns/rifles easily and you don't hear of many shootings with them so should handguns be allowed also?  

and considering you would probably need a good reason to own one and the checks the police do first i don't see this as such a bad thing

come south london u hear gun shots everyday

not even lying

It's based on how messed up the current generation is.

Consider these statistics;

"... Last year [2000], 3,685 crimes were committed by perpetrators armed with illegal handguns, including 43 murders, 310 attempted murders and 2,561 robberies, according to Home Office figures released to parliament. It is the highest number in seven years."

Though you may argue that they're outdated statistics because they're 14 years old, if handguns were legalised then it's fairly reasonable to assume that those figures would indefinitely increase. For example, according to another article I just read;

"Gang members carry out half of all shootings in the capital and 22% of all serious violence."

(this article is under a year old).

If handguns were more accessible, surely gang members would also be able to access them more easily too? Which would subsequently lead to more handgun related crimes.

More supporting statistics not just relevant to gangs;

"The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year  -  a rise of 89 per cent. 

In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold."

Legalising handguns would increase handgun crime rated.. It's fairly obvious. I don't think there would be any benefits to leglaising it.

And about your idea of legalising it for sporting activites; surely if it were easier to gain access to a firearm, it would also be easier for gangs and lunatics and others to access them too?

no lol like you said illegal guns were used...

under current law you have to apply for a license and you are only able to obtain one if you meet all criteria like reason to own one and legal background check i don't think many gang members are going to be member are shooting clubs and have a clean record and i don't think there's going to be many people that would sell guns to gang members as why would you want to risk being arrested and losing your own license? and the price a gang member would have to pay someone to risk it and buy a gun to sell them would be higher than would you would have to pay to get an illegal gun now i really don't think gun crime would rise any significant amount at  all

this doesn't really say anything other than half of the shootings in london are from gang members and serious violence can be anything from GHB to murder which you don't need to own a gun to commit