Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph?

Barchy

Hey guys, 

I've seen lots of posts about people curious to gaining weight, losing weight and just wanting some answers.  Starting to take control of your fitness is a great step in life and I'm just trying to help some people in  this community, in case they didn't know there body type and how they should train (of course every one is different).  Some people may be two of these body types and be a bit in between, as I said these do not generalize every one.  Please take a read might be some helpful information for you :) If you are new to fitness with establishing your body type you can easily find and research diet planes, exercises and gym routines to help you aim for your goal.  Gaining the body you want is all about trial, error, research and determination.  Good lucky guys :) I hope to keep more active on this side of the forum

-Liam

Ectomorph

An ectomorph is a typical skinny guy. Ecto’s have a light build with small joints and lean muscle. Usually ectomorph’s have long thin limbs with stringy muscles. Shoulders tend to be thin with little width.

Typical traits of an ectomorph:

• Small “delicate” frame and bone structure
  • Classic “hardgainer”
  • Flat chest
  • Small shoulders
  • Thin
  • Lean muscle mass
  • Finds it hard to gain weight
  • Fast metabolism

Ectomorphs find it very hard to gain weight. They have a fast metabolism which burns up calories very quickly. Ecto’s need a huge amount of calories in order to gain weight. Workouts should be short and intense focusing on big muscle groups. Supplements are definitely recommended. Ectomorphs should eat before bed to prevent muscle catabolism during the night. Generally, ectomorphs can lose fat very easily which makes cutting back to lean muscle easier for them.

Mesomorph

A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. They find it quite easy to gain and lose weight. They are naturally strong which is the perfect platform for building muscle.

Typical traits on a Mesomorph:

• Athletic
  • Generally hard body
  • Well defined muscles
  • Rectangular shaped body
  • Strong
  • Gains muscle easily
  • Gains fat more easily than ectomorphs

The mesomorph body type responds the best to weight training. Gains are usually seen very quickly, especially for beginners. The downside to mesomorphs is they gain fat more easily than ectomorphs. This means they must watch their calorie intake. Usually a combination of weight training and cardio works best for mesomorphs.

Endomorph

The endomorph body type is solid and generally soft. Endomorphs gain fat very easily. Endo’s are usually of a shorter build with thick arms and legs. Muscles are strong, especially the upper legs. Endomorphs find they are naturally strong in leg exercises like the squat.

Typical traits of an Endomorph:

• Soft and round body
  • Gains muscle and fat very easily
  • Is generally short
  • "Stocky" build
  • Round physique
  • Finds it hard to lose fat
  • Slow metabolism
  • Muscles not so well defined

When it comes to training endomorphs find it very easy to gain weight. Unfortunately, a large portion of this weight is fat not muscle. To keep fat gain to a minimum, endomorphs must always train cardio as well as weights. Usually supplements may not be needed as long as the person has a high protein intake in their diet.

A Combination of Body Types

These body types aren’t set in stone. In fact, most guys have a combination of two body types. These combinations are either ectomorph/mesomorph or mesomorph/endomorph. It is not uncommon to find a pure mesomorph that gains weight like an endomorph for example.

So which body type are you?

Given the information above you should be able to identify your body type. You may also want to optimize your diet and training to suit your body type.

One final point I want to mention is that no matter what your body type you can build a big, ripped, muscular physique. Even the skinniest of guys can bulk up. Yes, it’s harder but if you’re willing to put in the hard work it can be done. I have about the skinniest natural build possible and at the time of writing this article I have gained about 30kg (66lbs) of lean muscle mass.

Edited by Barchy

Great guid bro

Thanks man, have seen a fair few people asking questions about gaining weight ect.

At least now if they haven't already they can establish their body type and research were to go from there :)

really getting into the forums again hope to be a lot more active and especially in this section!

Appreciate the response man

-Liam

I'm gonna have to go between the first and the 2nd, aha, im not like mad thin + I got some muscle... just a really fast metabolism. Cool topic though

Yea same here

I'm gonna have to go between the first and the 2nd, aha, im not like mad thin + I got some muscle... just a really fast metabolism. Cool topic though

Yea same here

Same here again this is my body type as well

Yea same here

Same here again this is my body type as well

I work out n play sports all day lmao n I stay slim

^

Is it possible to change body types or are you always that body type but with either more lean muscle/more fat?

Using myself as an example, i was like 135lbs w/ no muscle and like not even low enough BF % to see abs at 16/17 years old, skinny af ecto, but these days im at around 155

10-11% BF. Would i be classed as a Mesomorph now or in a year or two, or am i always an Ectomorph but with more muscle on my frame?

Same thing with being an ectomorph and putting on like 100lbs of fat, would they then be classed as an endomorph?

i believe that a person is not born with a specific "body type". he merely adopts the physique due to his diet and upbringing. 

being an "ectomorph" is a common excuse for being a skinny rat mess

being an "endomorph" is a common excuse for being a fat fuk.

don't be the guy that blames genetics. yes people have different thyroid functionalities / metabolisms but lol at that being the main culprit to a sht physique.

edit: Ollie ^

my wrists are less than 6 inches (smaller than alot of girls), ankles etc the same. yet im over 200lb lean, everything contradicts itself at a certain point. just disregard what "bodytype" something sais you are lol....  

Edited by Steroids

i believe that a person is not born with a specific "body type". he merely adopts the physique due to his diet and upbringing. 

don't be the guy that blames genetics. yes people have different thyroid functionalities / metabolisms but lol at that being the main culprit to a sht physique.

my wrists are less than 6 inches (smaller than alot of girls), ankles etc the same. yet im over 200lb lean, everything contradicts itself at a certain point. just disregard what "bodytype" something sais you are lol....  

ty for being here for me to quote you

^+1

This is merely just a catagorization for body types, that fit every one due to the combination factor this is not a situation where you have to blame genetics I also have skinny ankles and wrists but you can change that with the right die and exercises. This is just a catagorization t help you gain the best results. If you an Ectomorph and you are doing exercises that an endomorph does its not nearly going to help as much as doing your own body type (Ectomorph) diet plans and work outs.. This is just to help people kick start their gym experience or develop theirs.