Best jam bands?

Luke

For those who listen to jam bands, post some of your favorites, and start the discussion..

Some of mine:

Phish

Dispatch

Fat Freddy's Drop

Grateful Dead

Umphrey's Mcgee

Anything with buckethead

G. Love & Special Sauce

O.A.R.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band

John Butler Trio

Lotus

Ben Harper

Also post any good jam concerts you've been to...

I saw JBT & State Radio in central park which was amazing.. Seeing dispatch 3 times this summer, and I might be going to superball IX

Octavarium

I think I'll need a proper definition of "Jam Band" but I'll assume it's a band that just plays music to write songs.

Whatever it means I'll answer with, lol and behold, Dream Theater. The way they compose music is to just jam and see what happens then arrange it and produce it, and every single song is fucking amazing.

Also John Butler is brilliant :D

Yeah I probably like JB with Shannon and Michael better, but I still love the new lineup... Plus I'll never have the opportunity to see the old lineup so I'll make due.

And Jam band... I'd define it as a musical band that plays instrumental jams are every show they play.

Octavarium

ah well DT don't do that. Although there was once a time where the pianist's keyboard broke so he went off stage to try and fix it. Meanwhile the others just wrote music on the spot. The pianist comes back and says he doesn't have a piano for the rest of the set and takes the guitar of the guitarist. The guitarist takes the bass, the bassist takes a chapman stick and the drummer just goes fucking crazy and they just improvise the rest of the show on each other's instruments.

And then later on the guitarist's wife went into labour so he left to be with her and the rest of them just improvised again and wrote beautiful music regardless.

Octavarium

I've no idea why this happens on every thread in the music section. :(

Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment are the two bands that improvise live. Liquid Tension Experiment is a side project that the Dream Theater's drummer created with his guitarist. The keyboard player in Liquid Tension Experiment then became dream Theater's keyboard player. Pretty much the same band but they're so different at the same time.

• 1 month later...

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.