don
Kruck
Polar
TBR
[ Council ] Rob

Pixels

severed arow

severed arow

I have taken a sudden interest in pixels, this topic is mainly aimed towards Stand and Connor but also anyone else who can pixel please help too!

EDIT: these Pixels are in order i think i can see progress lol :P

I come out with it now i suck at pixels... here is one i've done:

2mw5ffn.png

I want to become good at pixels, done in ms paint ofc, but i dont know all these techniques ive managed to pick up a few via hardcore googling suck as make all lines 1 pixel wide and get rid of the non needed corner pixels and dithering ect but most pixel info is desiging graphics for 8 bit games, or at least thats what i have found and i really want to pick up some new techniques for shading colouring and drawing (especially people and faces ect)

Thanks in advance, Jamal

New pixel taking on connors suggestions and tips :) i think its better :) allot of room for improvement though

24ornvb.png

Tried to do just a person close up :/

2zq5wef.png

250m1ko.png

shaded an highlighted a few things need changing i reckon but  what you think? and how can i improve? is anatomy ok?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I C0NN0R I

• Paxman

• Idiot_Wasabi

• severed arow

It looks more cartoony than pixel, kind of like a mix between the two.

Here's the first pixel I saw on rsc:

You see how the fire looks better, cos it's joined together, but looks realistic, whereas you've just made indiviual flame shapes and painted them one colour, then added slight texture to the bottom. A good pixel has shading EVERYWHERE.

Just the first thing I noticed about your pixel was the fire, Connor will probs have much better CC. :)

It does look good for a first try though, so keep working on them.

Gareth l Rare

Redo it on mspaint (if you have then stay away from the fill tool)

Look at Conn's work, he does every little speckle with dots :)

But start small, do a little 150/400 sized sig then move bigger. Looks like you jumped into a big peace straight away but over all i like the concept

CC

The guy is really skinny and his head looks demented

The moon is a deformed cheese ball and the stars are bleh

<3 now i love you so dont feel like im picking on you. Just pointing out the bits "i think need to be drastically changed" :king:

But keep working at it and wait for Conn's CC since Stand is still on holiday i think

I don't use outlines so there's no such thing as a corner pixel or line thickness for me. Don't bother with Dithering unless it's for something very specific i.e a light source with an overly-contrasted background. it's just a waste of time basically.

Also it's not some law that you can't use the line tool, if you have a large shape or something that will look fucked up if it isn't right (i.e the fire in the pic), just use it.

Kinda hard for me to give CC, it just comes naturally for me... Also i spend fuckn hours on em lmao.

edit: of Also light sources are a big deal, they make a sig look 10x more realistic for example, your sig has a moon and the fire. Most people won't notice/care too much if you ignore the light from the fire for the most part ( just add a glow on the ground around it[This is where dithering comes in handy], and maybe some feint orange glows on nearby objects).

Because of the moon in the top left, all objects should have shadows accordingly, i.e the  rocks just below the moon should have a shadow on the bottom/on the ground directly below it. the fire and the man should have shadows on the ground to the bottom right(opposite the moon basically), and shading on the man would also help a lot to give it depth and realism.

edit: i just zoomed in on it and realised it's been resized, idk if thats because of the image host your using, personally i use imageshack because it's fast reliable and easy. It's not a pixel if it's anti-aliased imo.

severed arow

Redo it on mspaint (if you have then stay away from the fill tool)

Look at Conn's work, he does every little speckle with dots :)

But start small, do a little 150/400 sized sig then move bigger. Looks like you jumped into a big peace straight away but over all i like the concept

CC

The guy is really skinny and his head looks demented

The moon is a deformed cheese ball and the stars are bleh

<3 now i love you so dont feel like im picking on you. Just pointing out the bits "i think need to be drastically changed" :king:

But keep working at it and wait for Conn's CC since Stand is still on holiday i think

already sis it on ms paint lol and ty for tips

severed arow

I don't use outlines so there's no such thing as a corner pixel or line thickness for me. Don't bother with Dithering unless it's for something very specific i.e a light source with an overly-contrasted background. it's just a waste of time basically.

Also it's not some law that you can't use the line tool, if you have a large shape or something that will look fucked up if it isn't right (i.e the fire in the pic), just use it.

Kinda hard for me to give CC, it just comes naturally for me... Also i spend fuckn hours on em lmao.

edit: of Also light sources are a big deal, they make a sig look 10x more realistic for example, your sig has a moon and the fire. Most people won't notice/care too much if you ignore the light from the fire for the most part ( just add a glow on the ground around it[This is where dithering comes in handy], and maybe some feint orange glows on nearby objects).

Because of the moon in the top left, all objects should have shadows accordingly, i.e the  rocks just below the moon should have a shadow on the bottom/on the ground directly below it. the fire and the man should have shadows on the ground to the bottom right(opposite the moon basically), and shading on the man would also help a lot to give it depth and realism.

edit: i just zoomed in on it and realised it's been resized, idk if thats because of the image host your using, personally i use imageshack because it's fast reliable and easy. It's not a pixel if it's anti-aliased imo.

ty con :) i have put the shadows in the right places i think if you zoom lol its just that its shit lol lots of things to take in there ill take them on board gladly :) its my first proper pixel so its obvs not great but im gonna work on it ty :)

Another thing is my pixels (like each tiny pixel) seem to be allot larger than yours ive used the pencil on the smalles settign buy they are still quite big which is why i have to do a big pixel :/

New pixel taking on connors suggestions and tips :) i think its better :) allot of room for improvement though

24ornvb.png

better, but your shadows aren't dark enough, try doing a really dark area, and then in between the light are and dark shadow areas draw in like mid tones until it blends a bit.

Also with that mage it looks like you ran out of room for the legs and made em really small, the robe bottom should extended off the image.

Also try drawing shadows of the rocks on the ground so it doesn't look like they're floating.

severed arow

better, but your shadows aren't dark enough, try doing a really dark area, and then in between the light are and dark shadow areas draw in like mid tones until it blends a bit.

Also with that mage it looks like you ran out of room for the legs and made em really small, the robe bottom should extended off the image.

Also try drawing shadows of the rocks on the ground so it doesn't look like they're floating.

ok ty :)

the shading on the rune armour is off, rounded objects don't have flat gradients like that.

Also it'd look better with some hint of muscle tone, your limbs are just sausages and joints are circles :\

second one is alot better but the legs are a tiny bit too long, take maybe the height of the ankles/feet away from the legs and it'd be more acceptable. Also here breasts are too high, delete the nose, it'll look better, or go anime style and just do like a little line or w/e lol, drawing noses in pixels looks bad imo.

oh the arms are a little too long as well.

severed arow

the shading on the rune armour is off, rounded objects don't have flat gradients like that.

Also it'd look better with some hint of muscle tone, your limbs are just sausages and joints are circles :\

second one is alot better but the legs are a tiny bit too long, take maybe the height of the ankles/feet away from the legs and it'd be more acceptable. Also here breasts are too high, delete the nose, it'll look better, or go anime style and just do like a little line or w/e lol, drawing noses in pixels looks bad imo.

oh the arms are a little too long as well.

ok ill sort the legs out and i know the rune guy sucks :(

the nose drawn on their is just a guide like i go over everything neatly and the nose will eventually just me shading and higlights no line

Hows this still needs to be shaded and highlighted ect but...

2du9urp.png

severed arow

The feet on the rough sketch of the mage are better then they are now.

ik its not finished yet still adjustments and shadows and highlights

taken away black lines started shading/ highlighting but i cant get the shading and highlights  looking right on the breasts someone help?

20k7wbc.png

severed arow

250m1ko.png

shaded an highlighted a few things need changing i reckon but  what you think? and how can i improve? is anatomy ok?

The breasts shadow look good but if your lighting is on the top left part of the pic then put the

lighting in a kinda "C" shape on the top left part of both breasts, not on the bottom (i think).

~~note so flamers don't flame:

Normal breasts (i don't think) are shaded like i just told you

but your ones look like they've been crafted by a master crafter with a surgeons knife, so that's

sufficient :)

hope I've helped a bit?

severed arow

taken away black lines started shading/ highlighting but i cant get the shading and highlights  looking right on the breasts someone help?

lolgh.png

what the fuck are you doing?