don
Kruck
Polar
TBR
[ Council ] Rob

Interesting

Sefket

I'm reading Runescape Community Runescape Updates, and come a long this:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/mmo-developers-jagex-outline-mechscape-617551

(Shows how much Jagex's Customers care about the Updates)

Principally a tech company

The company also recently hired Sensible Soccer developer Jon Hare as Publishing Director – a clear indication that it plans to engage more with the (more traditional) games publishing sector in the future.

"I think of Jagex first and foremost as a tech company," Gerhard told TechRadar. "We have millions in our community and as a result there is always a subsection of any community that is 'unsavoury'… and we are getting in the region of 200,000 denial of service (DoS) attacks a day," he reveals, clearly proud that Jagex's servers are among the most secure in the world.

I don't get this either.

People attempt to DDoS the servers/website but fail badly.
I got that part >.>
because of the shit updates, customers DoS jagex's servers... at least that's what the point of the topic is... i think

Huh?

Could you summarize in a small sentence? What's so interesting about this that you could explain better?

:?

Exactly my point.

People are using programs to attack Runescape servers, around 200,000 attacks per day. That's how badly they don't like the Updates, and Jagex has good security to make it not attack that much.

People are using programs to attack Runescape servers, around 200,000 attacks per day. That's how badly they don't like the Updates, and Jagex has good security to make it not attack that much.

I find that pretty sad, lol

A DoS attack is basicly flooding their bandwith. A DDoS attack consists of bot "Controllers" like me and another person. We infect people with our botnet, and then use their internet, to flood say world 2. (Each world is it's own computer by the way, also known as dedicated servers) So say I have 5k bots (which is very huge for a normal person to own) I would be flooding their server, and it would lag it. But, Jagex is pro and has some huge firewall, prolly a 127k ConCurrent Session firewall and it combats it very well.

(Btw, me owning a botnet is hypothetical. I do not own one nemore after a raid lol.)

Beastdefire

"Runescape has the second biggest public forum on the internet, with around 2.8 million posts a week," explains Gerhard. "Yet we host that [forum] on a machine with around 1GB of RAM which you probably couldn't even sell for £50... because our technology is that good."

Luls welfare

like 1/4 of their servers were down the other day.. I wonder what that was about?

It tells you on the front page. Whether they be lying, I do not know.