That "hollywood look"

Sam|Hooded

Was looking through various workouts the other day and stumbled across something called "The Golden Ratio", some others called it "The Adonis Effect" .. They're both the same, you can google it for the full details, but the basic upshot of it is: When you're watching one of these hollywood glitzy films and every girl you know always goes "He has a fucking sexy body", have you ever noticed how all the actors look virtually identicle from the neck down (same body shape/muscle tone), e.g. (also sorry for gay pictures)

It's the same with advertisements all over the world, bodies; the same.. I won't go totally gay and provide you with loads of pictures that will make homophobes everywhere instantly want to commit suicide, but if you want to see my point, just google "Calvin Klein" or "Armani" or just "male model" ... Now although everyones genes affect how their body is shaped (e.g. some people have a gap in their chest muscles, some don't), all of these hollywood bodies follow the same blueprint.

What this 'Golden Ratio' is

As I say, if you want full details google it and research it yourself, but the only conclusion you will come to is this (you will need a tape measure to wrap around your shoulders, and then your waist - When you wrap it around your shoulders, when it goes across your chest it should be about half way between your nipple and collarbone & when you wrap it around your waist, try and get it at the bellybutton):

The golden ratio:

Shoulder circumferance (cm) / Waist circumferance (cm) = 1.6180339887 - This number 1.6180339887 is the golden ratio, click here to learn more.

FOR EXAMPLE, if my shoulders are 52.8cm around, and my waist is 32.63cm, you divide the two ... 52.8/33=1.6181

The closer you can get to 1.6180339887 the better, that's the aim.

For your height, there is a "Perfect measurement", now I don't know the formula for this, but this website calculates it: http://www.adoniseffect.com/

Go to that + put your height, and any waist size it doesn't matter, it gives you the same result at the end. Then aim for those measurements!

DO NOT BUY ANY CRAP OFF THAT WEBSITE, GET YOUR MEASUREMENTS AND LEAVE.

You don't need to pay silly money to get told that you need to work on your chest, shoulders and back, just find a good workout online or ask one of the lovely people here to help you out.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I'm no expert on any of this so feel free to correct me on anything, this is all what I've found online, I'm not claiming to be some golden ratio guru lol :) But from what I can see, the main things you need to work on are: Chest, shoulders, back (lats mainly) and if you need to, more cardio to thin the waist or less cardio/more food to let it expand a bit - Also, a good 6 pack always goes down well so do some abdominal exercises while you're at it!

Mens Health article on this: http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-strategy-v-shaped-torso

Also, at no point did I say I was doing this myself before you call me vain or anything, my workout has to be military specific for the demands I will have to face, I just thought I'd post it for anyone looking to get a summer bod.

mate the key is training EVERY muscle group.. not just chest/lats/shoulders lol.

and those people look way too scrawny. im sure people here have those bodies already, they look like they've never even done weight training.. really not hard to get like that for ectomorphs even without a gym.

mate the key is training EVERY muscle group.. not just chest/lats/shoulders lol.

and those people look way too scrawny. im sure people here have those bodies already, they look like they've never even done weight training.. really not hard to get like that for ectomorphs even without a gym.

All hard lifters and body builders will laugh at you if you say you're aiming for a body like that, for example you've just called them scrawny when they had to work for months/years to get that body. But women love it lol.. You can't deny that fact, that was the whole point of this post lol, not to build muscle the best, but to get the most aesthetically pleasing body.

@Kofte, yeah obviously try to keep everything in proportion, I think the aim of the golden ratio is that biceps/triceps/traps etc etc will come as a by-product of other exercises, e.g. while building lats, chin ups offer good bicep work. But after you've achieved your ratio you can do some specific work on specific muscle groups obviously

Was looking through various workouts the other day and stumbled across something called "The Golden Ratio", some others called it "The Adonis Effect" .. They're both the same, you can google it for the full details, but the basic upshot of it is: When you're watching one of these hollywood glitzy films and every girl you know always goes "He has a fucking sexy body", have you ever noticed how all the actors look virtually identicle from the neck down (same body shape/muscle tone), e.g. (also sorry for gay pictures)

Yes, you're correct! They follow this workout:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop.html

"The Girls" only say it because they are famous. There are shitload of average joe's with better physiques but they just don't go out with their shirt off.

Also, they only feel attracted by the slim/toned physique when they are between the ages of 10+ to 20ish, after that age gap, they rather have a "big" guy, believe me, I'm 20.

Yes, you're correct! They follow this workout:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop.html

"The Girls" only say it because they are famous. There are shitload of average joe's with better physiques but they just don't go out with their shirt off.

Also, they only feel attracted by the slim/toned physique when they are between the ages of 10+ to 20ish, after that age gap, they rather have a "big" guy, believe me, I'm 20.

I know effects play a big part in films nowadays, but actors do have to actually get into 'character' for their role, whether that be getting lean, fat, skinny etc etc. It's not all photoshop, that's all I have to say on that one because you were foolish enough to bring that up, I was rather hoping someone would. (Look at 300 for example).

Taylor Lautner is hawt.

I was trying to think of that guy's name the other day. Completely forgot about that train of thought til now. Thanks.

Not going to lie, me and my friends have been trying to perfect the V formation with the body which is pretty much the golden ratio.

I mean, I'm not going to be an olympic lifter, I'm not trying to outbench everyone, I want to look aesthetically pleasing while also having strength/flexibility for martial arts. I'd rather have a body that is more useful/flexible than a great big ol' roided up body.

By the summer hopefully I'll post pictures of this supposed V formation.

edit: I also work lower body almost as equal to my upperbody. So don't flame me because you don't think I do squats, leg presses, calf raises etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Hooded, I am under the impression you look like an ostrich irl with your lack of lower body exercises that you present to us!

I actually used to be the opposite. I've been doing a lot of upper body work recently to balance my body out. British armed forces concentrate a lot more on cardio than strength (Although strength is a big factor, they do push you a lot more in the cardio side of things, being able to push yourself and keep going etc), the side effect of this means I have big legs from a lot of running/cycling etc. But I've balanced out :) - my ratio is 1.598, core being my strongest probably - I'm not claiming to be super strong, I'm just average.. I've never done my max bench, squat or deadlift. But I work at 50kg bench press, 3 sets of 10 reps - deadlift 80kg, 3 sets of 10 reps - squat 60kg - 3 sets of 20 for endurance (I leg press/leg extension/leg curl at like 6-10 reps for mass)