Shin splints/Stress Fractures

Phil

I've been running a lot lately, and I hadn't for a while before this. I'm almost 6'7 now, and I weigh about 285, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a stress fracture rather than a Shin Splint.

The pain isn't bad, I could easily continue running I just... don't know if it will get worse.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do?

So far, I've been icing it and just taking it easy. I was told I should look for Compression Wraps. I went to two sporting goods stores and couldn't find anything like that.

Any tips would be... great. Thanks!

S 6 I 6 N 6

I don't know what to tell you on how to take care of the pain.

But you need to work out your calves, this really helps with avoiding shin splints.

It's not so much about the pain. The first night after it started, I went running again and it got worse. So I'm just wondering how long I should... Not run on it?

and if anyone knows what i can do to make it go away, please let me know:D

S 6 I 6 N 6

I'm not sure of your running style, but stretching and warming up your calves before you run would also help with preventing lactic acid build up in your calves.

Copied this from Yahoo Answers:

The most common recommendation is to use a topical analgesic, like Ben Gay, but studies have shown that the active ingredients never reach your muscles. They are designed for arthritic pain, you should not be used for muscle soreness at all. Internal analgesics like Advil, Aleve, and Motrin can ease your pain, but they do not get rid of it any faster.

Icing has little efficacy for muscle soreness from running, and heating is the preferred method. No one really knows for sure why this is true. However, it is commonly thought that this is because the cells in your muscles need to remove the excess lactic acid from your body, and they cannot do their job if it is too cold for them to work. Lightly heating your muscles will help your cells do their job. My personal favorite method is the ThermaCare line of products that you can find at your local pharmacy, but there are other heating pads out there.

As I mentioned before, lightly heating your muscles is the best way of speeding up your recovery. As such, the best method is simple stretching and resting so that your muscles can recover. The "Marathon Stick" that someone else mentioned is an easy way of massaging your legs and many hard-core runners like to get professional massages after their races. I see no problem with either approaches since they lightly heat your muscles towards a speedier recovery, and they work!

tbh id seek medical help. any sharp pains during exercise are usually not due to the lack of stretching / warming up.

and ur 6ft 7? ;o

tbh id seek medical help. any sharp pains during exercise are usually not due to the lack of stretching / warming up.

and ur 6ft 7? ;o

i'm 6'6, just under 6'7.

I wear a size 17 shoe in the US, which is rather annoying because I can't find anything I like.

Oh, and I'm 17. My shoe size has kept up with my age about as long as I can remember, I'm basically Shrek.

That gives me a good idea... Green paint + antennas for halloween? I fucking think so.

I Tacticz I

and ur 6ft 7? ;o

i'm 6'6, just under 6'7.

I wear a size 17 shoe in the US, which is rather annoying because I can't find anything I like.

Oh, and I'm 17. My shoe size has kept up with my age about as long as I can remember, I'm basically Shrek.

That gives me a good idea... Green paint + antennas for halloween? I fucking think so.

I thought I was a big boy then seen you're 6'7", I have to order my shoes also, size 14.5 :S

I get pain in my feet when running, not my shins but still pain.  I wear these foot soles specially made with an arch because I have a completely flat foot.  I'd get Medical Help or go to a foot doctor.