[ High Council ] Brad
Colin
Erik
Kruck
Teleporting
[ Warlord ] [ Council ] don
Lay
TBR

What's Solo P2P Pking Like? Looks Painful to Me.

MM Chance

Trying to decide what direction to build my account in.

From what I've seen since coming back, and what I saw on Vitality for the couple months I was on there, it seems like literally almost everyone now does the same combo in P2P - either AGS or DClaw spec into gmaul. I see people tanking now well over 110HP, and it seems people just eat at 3/4 HP so they don't get one shot with a massive damage stack. 

I've also noticed that anyone who hybrids/tribrids uses protection prayers now, doesn't seem like many people smite, and whatever "honor" system we may have had a long time ago is well out the window, which is a big part of what led me to quit in 2013.

It's not my cup of tea. As much as I would like to go back to P2P pking, I highly doubt I'd be able to enjoy the environment now. I'm a simple, basic bitch, and miss the times prior to when it was standard practice to do a 4 way item switch multiple times during a fight while swapping between protection prayers. Honestly it just looks like a miserable ordeal to me now. I'm also not entirely sure what food stacks people are doing now, before just shark -> kara or shark -> bomb was a good combo, now I think people are doing like 3 way food stacks that heal basically their whole health bar.

Sorry if this comes off as a silly question or rambling, just looking for what ya'll have experienced.

If you mean deep wilderness it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but don't expect to be running around in high risk without being hunted by a team. I also don't really agree with your time line (2013 overheads), people were using overheads in tribrid as early as 2009. It wasn't as common, but in 2011-12 it got pretty big on mains for tribridding. Hybrids don't really exist in deep wilderness anymore. Turmoil was really strong so it made mage/melee really viable and soulsplit + yaks made hybrid fights without overheads more popular as well.

This version of the game has a LOT of dps, and it doesn't have things like soaking or BoBs to mitigate the damage you take so playing more defensively has become the meta. Games evolve and RS is no exception unfortunately for some people.

To answer your question though, if you're looking for an account to solo pk deep wilderness go 75 attack at a minimum. Claws are great for fall-in pking, but you lose all KO potential once you spec and 60 attack isn't that accurate.

20 minutes ago, Robert_ said:

If you mean deep wilderness it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be....

.....you lose all KO potential once you spec and 60 attack isn't that accurate.

Thank you. And yeah, I completely agree with what you're saying about how games evolve and things change, as they should otherwise most people would find it stale after awhile. Just trying to decide if the changes are something I can jive with, or if I'd be better off on the slow train, staying a lil guy with F2P combat specs.

I'm not really looking for deep wildy fights, or necessarily high risk, I'm just talking about classic Edge pking or PVP worlds.

Claws are 50M+ and I noticed AGS have dropped like crazy in price, so was considering doing 75/1/52 build.

Do higher level (80-90) pures still pk in F2P? As long as I could always go back to f2p edge or a pvp world and still get good f2p fights as a higher level pure it should be "all good" for me.

6 minutes ago, MM Chance said:

Thank you. And yeah, I completely agree with what you're saying about how games evolve and things change, as they should otherwise most people would find it stale after awhile. Just trying to decide if the changes are something I can jive with, or if I'd be better off on the slow train, staying a lil guy with F2P combat specs.

I'm not really looking for deep wildy fights, or necessarily high risk, I'm just talking about classic Edge pking or PVP worlds.

Claws are 50M+ and I noticed AGS have dropped like crazy in price, so was considering doing 75/1/52 build.

Do higher level (80-90) pures still pk in F2P? As long as I could always go back to f2p edge or a pvp world and still get good f2p fights as a higher level pure it should be "all good" for me.

I'm not sure about f2p pking at all, as I haven't done it since like 2010 rofl. But MSB->AGS is quite literally the most overpower combo in the game. 75 attack also gives you a really wide variety of weapons so I'd recommend that on every account build including 1 defense pures.

11 minutes ago, Robert_ said:

I'm not sure about f2p pking at all, as I haven't done it since like 2010 rofl. But MSB->AGS is quite literally the most overpower combo in the game. 75 attack also gives you a really wide variety of weapons so I'd recommend that on every account build including 1 defense pures.

Thanks, and that's what I've noticed as well, everyone seems to use some variation of range/AGS/Gmaul. I feel like that'd get stale/frustrating pretty quickly.

I'm going to lurk around some f2p pvp/edgeville here in a bit and see if there's higher level pures pking. As long as I have the option of falling back and being a basic f2p bitch if I want to, then I'm good. Someone in clan chat also accurately pointed out to me that it doesn't necessarily take very long to build an f2p acc if I ever needed to build another. I'm dragging my feet right now but if I had funds for training ahead of time and membership then could probably build a good f2p acc in a week or so.

20 minutes ago, Hanx said:

click the videos in my signature to find out 😄

I actually watched your 2nd pk video awhile ago, well before making this topic, as I was trying to gather what the scene looked like now.

Definitely a lot of spec 1 -> spec maul combo, but doesn't look like every kill is like that. 

Edit: Also, good work on the videos 🙂 They turned out good.

Edited by MM Chance

Switches have become aLOT faster in the last few years and bridding requires a lot of attention. If it's been a good while since you've last pked watch out for "fakies", where someone will switch into the opposite gear in between hits to bait a prayer switch, then quickly switch back into the previous gear to hit you off prayer. 

I think people's mechanics have changed more than the actual meta has. People are just really fast with their clicks and they'll wreck you if you're not paying attention. Check out the minigame LMS (last man standing) great way to get some practice for free.

yah bro sure as fuck now how us oldschoolers played back in the day man

everything is NH now so whenever u get chance to get over on som1 ur fighting u gotta take it funny I accidently pjed a kid I didnt know just got done with a fight and I 3 hit him he threw smite on but I guess he turned auto prays up i pked his ballista once I found out it was a pj i gave it back his mind was blown i told him I was oldschooler n im brining honor pking back he was stoked lol next fight he said he gave back som1 who DCd items all. back saying he usually wouldn't name of the game im guessing now a days lol

not like it used to be bro nothing at all

2 hours ago, MM Chance said:

Thank you everyone for the responses - Pretty much what I expected/what things looked like.

bro once u get account going lets go pking like goood ole days

Yeahh, high level f2p pures are not a thing anymore. They're all P2P now. Low cb F2P pures are still a thing, however. I'd also consider making a low lvl obby mauler if you're looking for less nh, but get bored with low lvl f2p. 

Bwanna Killer

You can do pvp worlds if you want smite fights but that shit is boring. Its gmaul/whack or spec gmaul for full hp. NHing is kinda essential given that damage is so high, you need prayers unless you want fights to be over in 30s-1m on a 1def. 

On 2/25/2021 at 1:23 AM, Out Of Ctrl said:

Personally from my POV Single Pking isn't what it used to be. I don't enjoy single PKing anymore and only log on for clan events.

this x10000

• 2 weeks later...

to cut a long story short, the vast majority of pkers are a lot better.

You'd need to learn 1 ticking and triple eating consistently to be good at 1v1.

NH bridding kind of the same tbf, but this is still a lot of fun if you're good 🙂

On 3/17/2021 at 5:06 AM, J_J said:

to cut a long story short, the vast majority of pkers are a lot better.

You'd need to learn 1 ticking and triple eating consistently to be good at 1v1.

NH bridding kind of the same tbf, but this is still a lot of fun if you're good 🙂

Yeah, just not sure if I can or want to adapt to it.

What makes people good at pking now is what you said, being able to do crazy food combos, prayer switches, or gear switches.

Before we had the hp/prayer orbs by the minimap, and before hotkeys were really a thing, what made people skilled at pking was much more utilitarian, just being able to keep an eye on your stats and spec attack % throughout the fight by flipping through the interface manually. Smiting people was a lot more common because it was much harder to keep track of your prayer. No one had time back then for these crazy combos or switches because you couldn't use a mouse to instantly toggle through 3 menus in 1 game tick.

I'm not saying the new stuff is wrong, and I know things change, just not sure how it'll go for me. I understand that I'm wanting to go back to an environment that doesn't exist anymore. I've gone 50 att and 31 prayer now on my main pure acc, so we'll see how it goes.

21 minutes ago, MM Chance said:

Yeah, just not sure if I can or want to adapt to it.

What makes people good at pking now is what you said, being able to do crazy food combos, prayer switches, or gear switches.

Before we had the hp/prayer orbs by the minimap, and before hotkeys were really a thing, what made people skilled at pking was much more utilitarian, just being able to keep an eye on your stats and spec attack % throughout the fight by flipping through the interface manually. Smiting people was a lot more common because it was much harder to keep track of your prayer. No one had time back then for these crazy combos or switches because you couldn't use a mouse to instantly toggle through 3 menus in 1 game tick.

I'm not saying the new stuff is wrong, and I know things change, just not sure how it'll go for me. I understand that I'm wanting to go back to an environment that doesn't exist anymore. I've gone 50 att and 31 prayer now on my main pure acc, so we'll see how it goes.

If I'm being honest, if your experience is anything like mine was. For the first week/ couple days you'll be dying a lot mate LOL