[ High Council ] Colin
don
Kruck
Polar
TBR
[ Council ] Rob

Workflow with Rolexx: Avatar

Rolexx

I'm bored at work, so I took a break from coding and decided to open up photoshop and let my creativity lead the way.

I also documented everything what I've done so this way I can help people create their own thing and maybe get some tips myself so I can keep improving.

Start:

First of all, the font is the most important thing in designing(IMO). So I decided to go with the original font that 'Rolex' uses for their logo. 
Second, since my nickname is Rolexx AND I'm using the rolex font I decided I should use the crown from Rolex too, or else it'd look really weird having a modern font without anything to back it up(the crown).

2. To put it into context I've added a nice gradient(FOE colors(blue/cyan->white)) to the text and added an additional X to the name

3. After this I've cut out the crown from the 'Rolex' logo and changed the color to the start of my gradient color (dark blue) and added it to the R, to create a nice badass look. Also, I've got a vector from the FOE hawk/bird icon, which I've used to put in the middle. 

4. Added a nice background with the same colors of the gradient I've used for the letters, and added some distortion+blur+spread on top of it. 

EDIT: The hawk used in this image is a little bit different from the one above(it's a little bit lighter and sharper). What I've done is:  I've duplicated the layer with the hawk and put the preset to overlay (on the second layer) so the icon got a little bit sharper+lighter.

5. I noticed the 'hawk' wasn't fitting in nice with the background, so I've changed the colors of the hawk and added a vector mask to that layer and gave it a slight gradient so it creates the effect of flying away.

Finish:

Voila. 

It's all about iterations: You create something, ask for feedback, change something / Create it again, ask for feedback AGAIN, change something AGAIN / Create it AGAIN, etc.

Edited by Rolexx