Kruck
Polar
TBR
Teleporting
[ Council ] Lay
Rob

GPU Upgrade Time (Not RTX 3000 Series)

Obese

Now is a better time then ever to upgrade your aging GPU, with RTX 3000 Lineup soon on the way, Prices on RTX Cards have shit the bed, Below prices are limits i set for myself on purchases and i buy as many as i can get at these prices.

Obviously convert them into your local currency as they're in AUD

GTX 1050TI $100
GTX 1060 3GB $120
GTX 1060 6GB $150
RX 470 $100
RX 570 $120
RX 580 8GB $150
GTX 1070 $250
GTX 1080 $350
GTX 1080ti $500
RTX 2060 $350
RTX 2060 SUPER $400
RTX 2070 $450
RTX 2070 SUPER $500
RTX 2080 $550
RTX 2080 SUPER $600
RTX 2080TI $800

Below is an expectation of what you can achieve with said gpu.

1080P Medium Settings 60 FPS:
1050ti

1060 3gb
RX 470

1080P High Settings 60 FPS:
GTX 1060 6GB

RX 570

RX 580

1080P Ultra Settings 60 FPS:
GTX 1070

1080P High Refresh Rate/1440P 60 FPS
GTX 1080

RTX 2060

RTX 2060 Super

1440P High Refresh Rate:
2070 Super/1080ti and above.

4K 60  FPS
2080ti

Edited by Obese

You'll be in the absolute minority if you get close to buying any of the 3000 sku lineup within the first 3 months of release. 

Which supply and demand will also raise the pricing above what people are already expecting to pay, the same scenario happened with RTX and it's only looking worse for this generations initial supply.

Also the results shown so far have only showed us 4K Res + DLSS +RTX Enabled which rules out the majority of peoples gameplay, I'm a firm beleiver that the real upgrade will be around 40% with those off on the 3080, and the 3070 will be less then expected, with the slower GDDR6 and only 8GB

and you're definitely in the minority of FOE that's willing to spend $499 USD or higher on a gpu

but yes, i'll be getting a 3090, but i don't see it happening anytime soon, as EK Hasn't received any AIB designs for waterblocks yet, and they usually take a bit before the designs make retail shelfs

Edited by Obese
15 minutes ago, Obese said:

You'll be in the absolute minority if you get close to buying any of the 3000 sku lineup within the first 3 months of release. 

Which supply and demand will also raise the pricing above what people are already expecting to pay, the same scenario happened with RTX and it's only looking worse for this generations initial supply.

Also the results shown so far have only showed us 4K Res + DLSS +RTX Enabled which rules out the majority of peoples gameplay, I'm a firm beleiver that the real upgrade will be around 40% with those off on the 3080, and the 3070 will be less then expected, with the slower GDDR6 and only 8GB

and you're definitely in the minority of FOE that's willing to spend $499 USD or higher on a gpu

but yes, i'll be getting a 3090, but i don't see it happening anytime soon, as EK Hasn't received any AIB designs for waterblocks yet, and they usually take a bit before the designs make retail shelfs

if ur gpu right now is fine then just wait no need to upgrade untill the 3090 is here 

yeah nah i don't plan on it, there's litterally nothing i can upgrade to until the 3090 get's released, this is more based for people who currently have stuff like gtx 1060s with minimal budgets

(with the exception of the titan)

Edited by Obese

I have a old trusty GTX 970 and an even older and trustier i5 2500k (legendary cpu but definitely a pensioner).

You reckon this is a good time for a modest new build pc @Obese ?  I've been holding off as I literally do not have the space in my house atm to build a PC, but my box has been occasionally getting clock watchdog timeouts and getting in weird freezes on startup for a while now, and as I work from home I can't really afford for it to die on me...

8 hours ago, Paul` said:

I have a old trusty GTX 970 and an even older and trustier i5 2500k (legendary cpu but definitely a pensioner).

You reckon this is a good time for a modest new build pc @Obese ?  I've been holding off as I literally do not have the space in my house atm to build a PC, but my box has been occasionally getting clock watchdog timeouts and getting in weird freezes on startup for a while now, and as I work from home I can't really afford for it to die on me...

I still have a few 2500ks around and I've managed over 5ghz on one, regardless it's starting to finally show it's age. Luckily on eBay you can generally still get a little bit of coin for z68 mobo and DDR3 on eBay.

An upgrade to a b450 mobo/ddr4 and ryzen 1600af/2600/3600

With a used 2060 or similar at a good price would be night and day. It really comes down to your budget. But you could definitely get something for around 6-700 USD with current pricing expecially now ram/ssds is at all time lows due to the oversourcing of dram by manufacturers during the pandemic. There's a few little tricks you can do to get a slight bit more out of your 2500k though if you want to squeeze a little bit more out it such as disabling the spectre and meltdown patches will give you around a 10% increase in performance